The Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya str.: Every building – a historical manuscript
The history of the very title ‘Dragomilovskaya’ dates back to the XIII century, when the first written reference to it appeared. The locality of the modern street was called ‘Dorogomilovo’, by the name of Ivan Dorogomilov, who was the landlord of the district. Originally the title Dragomilovo belonged to the area which was located on the left side of Moskva river, but in the XVI century the foundation of The Dragomilovo Sloboda on the other side of the river constantly reattached the title to its modern locality. Only in the XVIII century the street built in the district received the name Dorogomlinovskaya, later it was accompanied by the indicator Bolshaya as a result of street title duplication and appearance of brand-new Malaya Dorogomlinovskaya.
Historically the original Dorogomilovo used to be a poor suburb of Moscow, which in addition regularly suffered from floods. One of the most damaging floods occurred here in 1978 – the Moskva river overflowed the banks and submerged practically the whole street, what brought about buildings’ destruction and other damages. People rescued from the streets up to the roofs of their houses, those who lived the catastrophe had to find shelter, food and means to survive the great water. Unfortunately this was not the last flood here, in 1908 the catastrophe occurred again. It began on the Good Friday and was over only on the Easter Day, that is on Sunday. This time again ground floors of multi-story houses were covered in water and extremely damaged, thus small 1 story buildings were absolutely washed out to the ground. The Great former Bryansk Railway Station Square was more like a lake, trains were delayed, enterprises, shops and other services on the street were out of order. This natural cataclysm was fatal for the street, it caused colossal amount of lost revenues and needed enormous investments to regain the lost prosper and reanimate the street again.
The modern Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya str. – often called Russian Champs Elysees – is in fact a majestic avenue both side followed by massive buildings performed in late Moscow Empire style which leads to the ultra-modern business district Moskva-city with its heaven-high skyscrapers. Therefore while discovering all these facts and realizing boundless obstacles which the place was obliged to overcome – it’s hard to believe that modern Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya str. really was the epicenter of these disasters.
Places must-to-visit in the area: Obelisk Moscow – Hero-city, The Dorogomilov Zastava Square
The monument was founded on May. 9, 1977, performed by the project of Zacharov, Chernysheva, and sculpturer Scherbakova. The statue itself is a 40m-high sharp obelisk, decorated by grey marble veneer middle-centered on a high artificial hill. It is surrounded by 3 5m-high figures of soldiers-defenders of Moscow and 3 large stairways leading to the top of the hill. One side of the obelisk is devoted to textual fragment which demonstrates the directive of General Presidium of the USSR to declare Moscow as hero-city. The obelisk, located on a 2-way crossroad is confronted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on one way, and hotel ‘Ukraine’ on the other.
Would like to live in a historical apt.house on the Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya str?
Rent a fancy apartment on 4. Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya, Moscow. Monumental 14-story building of 1955, used to be a residence of Betty Glan – Soviet Union movie director and journalist, former Gorky Park superintendent and professor of literature – Yevgeniy Pasternak, the son of famous Russian scientist and poetry expert – Boris Pasternak.
Rent a flat on 8. Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya, Moscow. A 1979 building, 12-story, brick-walls. A great deal of USSR cinematography celebrities lived here – Roman Filipov, Vitaliy Solomin and many other.
Photo-walk to the Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”22″ gal_title=”Большая Дорогомиловская”]